Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dear...


This morning as I was getting ready for work, I thought of this topic because I read an article about Michelle Bachmann and her religious/personal beliefs, and the following came to me:

“Dear Michelle Bachmann and the other Bachmann’s of the world,

            While I applaud the fact that you stand up for your personal and religious beliefs, as that is your right as an American-to have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc-I do not recall part of those rights including anything about forcing your personal and religious beliefs on the rest of the American people. Being raised as a Christian, I understand where you are coming from, believe me, I do. But as a human being, it sickens me that you are using religion to discriminate, bully, and pass judgment on other people in this country and in this world. You don’t have the right, given by God or the American people, to tell us who we should love or spend our lives with.
What am I talking about? Well, I don’t see it as your place, or your right or responsibility to tell others how to live their lives and who they should love. Don’t you know that the bullying of kids because of their sexual orientation and/or identification can be traced to the hate that you spew? Everyday there is another story about how kids are bullying other kids simply because they’re not like them. Don’t you know that kids are not born knowing how to hate? Kids are taught to hate. They are taught by parents, family, friends, politicians, religious figures, etc. No person should EVER feel like they aren’t good enough simply because they love differently from you or anyone else! That is not what being a human being or being a Christian is about. I’m not really sure where you learned that, but they told you wrong.
What am I asking you by saying this? I’m asking that you focus on politics and leave religion and personal preferences out of your campaigns. I know that there are people in this country who know nothing about politics and vote based on religious beliefs, lies, and preferences, but it doesn’t make it right. Stop paving the way for future bullies, tortures, abusers, and murders of those who don’t fit the “mold” that you’ve been taught to believe that love is. I’m asking you as someone who not only believes in the Creator, but also as someone who believes in love-no matter what form it takes.”

Sincerely,

One Voice of Many

No comments:

Post a Comment